At a Glance Reference Guide for Hair Care Herbs and Oils
Rose - For fine hair, soothes the scalp and adds a sweet smell to products. Because of the expense of the essential oil this is best utilized through hydrosol, crushed petals or an herbal infusion.
Rosemary - Use for oily hair, dark highlights, itchy scalp, dandruff, promotes hair growth, alopecia, and hair loss. This is my favorite herb and essential oil to use for my hair.
Sage - Dark highlights, hair loss, stimulates hair growth, boosts hair health, dandruff.
You have a list of herbs and essential oils for hair care, now what?
- You can make a simple hair rinse by making an herbal infusion, I also add essential oils to my hair rinses. Let the infusion cool, add the essential oil and then apply to hair after shampoo and conditioner. You can leave it in or rinse out.
- Hair Rinse #2 - infuse the herbs in some vinegar for 2 weeks then strain. After shampooing, pour the vinegar rinse through the hair and then rinse.
- Use the essential oils in your current shampoo or conditioner and any other hair care product.
- Add essential oils to some warmed coconut oil or use an herbal oil and massage into the scalp and ends of the hair. Cover with a shower cap or plastic wrap and leave on for an hour or two. Shampoo and condition after treatment. This can be done once a month.
- Massage the essential oils directly onto scalp, this is especially effective when treating hair loss.
- Make your own hair care products using herbs and essential oils.