What are Kidney Stones?
Kidney stones are accumulations of mineral salts that form crystals which clump together forming either jagged or smooth 'stones'. They can lodge anywhere along the course of the urinary tract. Symptoms include agonizing pain radiating from the upper back to the lower abdomen and groin, profuse sweating, frequent urination, pus and blood in the urine, odorous or cloudy urine, nausea and vomiting, and sometimes chills and fever.
Men are much more likely to get them than women. There are different types of kidney stones and many causes, which can be tricky to pinpoint. Some factors include high blood calcium levels, over consumption of carbohydrates, especially sugar and oxalates (found in dark green leafy vegetables), metabolism, heredity, shape of the kidneys and pharmaceuticals to name of few. While it is hard to identify the actual cause one factor that increases risk is dehydration which concentrates the urine making it more susceptible to forming crystals.
- Drink plenty of purified water every day.
- Daily glass of lemon water can prevent stones from forming due to the citric acid.
- Include 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil into daily diet.
- Consume a whole foods diet, avoiding high amount of carbs, processed foods and refined sugar.
- Foods high in Vitamin A discourage stone formation. Alfalfa, apricots, cantaloupe, carrots, pumpkin, sweet potatoes and squash.
- Stay active. Exercise helps pull calcium from the blood into the bones.
- Eat meat sparingly. Diets high in animal protein can cause the body to excrete calcium, and other minerals that can crystallize.
- Avoid taking synthetic vitamin supplements.
- Drink a large glass of purified water, wait for 20 minutes to absorb and then run up and down the stairs vigorously.
- Take a hot bath with essential oils for pain relief.
- Hot and cold therapy.
- Music therapy for pain relief.
- Hot Lemon Refresher or just lemon in warm water will help flush kidneys and break down stones.
- Kidney Stone Capsules and Power Lemon Water this post also includes the therapy protocol I used for my husband's kidney stones.
- Birch - cleanses and supports urinary system and dissolves kidney and bladder stones.
- Marshmallow - soothes inflamed and irritated urinary tract
- Willow - pain reliever
- Herbs that help dissolve stones include: celery seed, gravel root, parsley and stone root.
- Gingko biloba and goldenseal both aid circulation to the kidneys and have anti-inflammatory properties.
For pain relief apply to backside where the kidneys are and then place a hot pad over the area or hot and cold depending on the person. You could also use a wet compress.
- Digestive blend from your favorite essential oil company